withSimplicity | Updated July 5, 2023
SIMPLE GUIDE TO HYALURONIC ACID IN SKINCARE
In the realm of skincare, few ingredients have gained as much recognition and popularity as hyaluronic acid. Its remarkable ability to attract and retain moisture has made it a year-round essential for achieving and maintaining a well-hydrated, youthful complexion.
In this blog, we will delve deep into the world of hyaluronic acid, exploring its benefits, sources, and the best ways to incorporate it into your skincare routine.
Get ready to discover why hyaluronic acid is a must-have for every season!
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance found in our skin, joints, and connective tissues. What sets it apart is its remarkable water-attracting properties.
It can hold up to 1000 times its weight in water, making it a powerful humectant. This unique characteristic allows hyaluronic acid to provide intense hydration, plumpness, and suppleness to the skin, resulting in a youthful and radiant appearance.
How is Hyaluronic Acid Sourced for Skincare?
Historically, hyaluronic acid was extracted from the combs of roosters. The acid was present in high concentrations in this tissue. However, this method has become less popular due to ethical concerns and the potential for transmitting diseases from animals to humans.
Nowadays, most hyaluronic acid used in skincare is produced through bacterial fermentation. Bacteria, typically Streptococcus zooepidemicus, are genetically modified to produce hyaluronic acid. The fermentation process allows for the production of hyaluronic acid on a larger scale, ensuring consistency and purity.
The hyaluronic acid we use here at withSimplicity is fermented from glucose and yeast extract.
What are the Skin Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid isn't just a trendy ingredient; it's very beneficial for your skin and its protective barrier.
- Deep Hydration. As we age, our skin's natural hyaluronic acid levels decline, leading to dryness, fine lines, and loss of elasticity. By topically applying hyaluronic acid, we replenish and restore moisture levels, delivering long-lasting hydration to the skin's deeper layers.
- Enhanced Skin Elasticity. Hyaluronic acid's ability to retain moisture helps improve skin elasticity, making it appear more firm and toned. This can minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, giving your complexion a smoother, more youthful look.
- Skin Barrier Protection. Hyaluronic acid reinforces the skin's natural barrier function, preventing moisture loss and shielding it from external aggressors such as pollution and harsh weather conditions. By fortifying the skin's defense mechanisms, hyaluronic acid promotes a healthy and resilient complexion.
- Brightening Properties. Rose extracts contain vitamin C, a potent ingredient known for its brightening and complexion-evening effects. By promoting cellular turnover and reducing the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation, rose-infused products can impart a radiant and luminous glow.
- Soothing and Calming Properties. Hyaluronic acid possesses soothing properties that can help calm inflammation and irritation. It is particularly beneficial for those with sensitive or compromised skin, providing relief and comfort.