March 05, 2019
Double Cleansing 101 | The Holy Grail Skincare Routine
In a world full of tricks, hacks, and other time saving tactics, double cleansing may be the last thing you want to do. Saving time in the beauty world is definitely a high achievement, but we are here to tell you that spending extra time on your skin is incredibly beneficial and can make a world of difference. In fact, double cleansing has been around for centuries in Japan.
Double cleansing is exactly what it sounds like: cleansing your face not once, but twice at night. If you have highly sensitive skin, we do not recommend double cleansing everyday, but instead incorporating this technique into your skin routine a few times a week.
How to Double Cleanse your Skin at Night:
- STEP 1: The first cleanse is done with an oil-based remover, like our Face & Eye Makeup Remover to remove makeup, any tenacious formulas from SPF, and dirt and oils that settle on the skin throughout the day. Even if you aren’t a makeup wearer, double cleansing is still recommended to help remove daily impurities.
- Massage the Face & Eye Makeup remover over your skin in upwards and outwards motions (free face massage!), concentrating on areas with more makeup such as the eyes and cheeks.
- Rinse your face with warm water
- STEP 2: The second cleanse, what you are probably thinking of, is done with your daily face cleanser such as our Face Wash for Normal and Combo Skin or our Face Wash for Acne Prone Skin.
- As with Step 1, massage the cleanser gently over your skin in upwards and outwards motions.
- Rinse your face with warm water and pat dry with a clean towel. Don’t rub the towel over your face, as this can cause unintentional micro-exfoliation, leading to irritation and redness.
Benefits of Double Cleansing
- Double Cleansing allows for a deeper clean as Step 1 removes the top layer of makeup- allowing Step 2 to dig deep into the pores and fine lines, removing dirt and oils.
- Products added to the skin after double cleansing, such as serums and moisturizers, will be able to penetrate deeper into the skin.
- You can fall asleep peacefully at night knowing your face is 100% clean and ready to shine beautifully the next day!